Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Case for the Mora 163 curved blade carving knife

I just bought a More #163 curved knife from Bens Backwoods. I like these type blades for carving spoons, bowls, trenchers, mugs, noggins, etc. It will go along well with my Mora #164 hook knife. Today I made a case from a piece of poplar wood.
Here's a link to the tutorial I did on the Mora #164 case: http://ronsprimitiveskills.blogspot.com/2008/09/crooked-knife-case-tutorial.html

First, I trace an outline of the blade and drill holes along its length.

This mark is on the side to show how deep to set the carbide drill/rasp depth for the blade.

Here the channel is drilled out. The hammer is to knock out the sawdust as I cut the channel.

These lines are where I'll cut the board.

Here's a shot of the tungsten carbide drill/rasp. These things are great for removing stock and other cutting & grinding chores.

A perfect fit.

Here's the lid. I glued on a piece of the same wood to the bottom just to even it out & make it look nice.

The lid & bottom is from a piece of basswood board 1/8" thick.

Here I made some indents with a round file into the lid and sides of the case.

The indents hold the ranger bands in place and make a nice safe home for this very sharp blade.
All I need to do is sand it a little to take off any sharp edges. This whole project took all of an hour to do.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Nice solution.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with this spoon blade, i ended up dulling down one edge on mine to make it safer as i kept wanting to choke up on the blade and couldnt due to the double edge.

Ron Layton said...

Hi Kepis! I know what you mean about wanting to choke up on the little sucker. I bought it for the reason of having two sharp edges so I'll have to be extra careful. Glad I have lots of bandaids and wimpwrap! Take care. Good hearing from you.