Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gerber Dime

I admit it. I am a gearhead. I love to try out new toys and see if its worth keeping. The Gerber Dime is one of those things that intrigued me from the moment I laid eyes on it. I have my venerable old Gerber pliers from way back in 1992, the black ones, and they have never failed me. I am on the second sheath for those puppies. What I like about the Dime is its size. I wanted a handy little set of pliers for my key chain. These are just right for light weight work and I needed a thin set of pliers for some of my electronic repairs and do-dads. The pliers are only 1/8" thick, perfect for hard to reach places in most modern, cramped, electronics compartments. The Dime answered the requirement. The bonus is all the tools they managed to pack in this 2 3/4" device. If you look at the pictures you will note: long nose pliers with wire cutters, scissors, tweezers, bottle opener, file, Philips screw driver, regular screw driver, knife blade and a package opening blade which works really well for opening those damn plastic packages and some small carving work, too. As you can see, it fits just fine on my key chain. The only thing that I don't need on it is the bottle opener, but I'm sure there can be another use for it down the road. Fit and finish is A+ and all the blades are tight and no play at all. The scissors are kind of a pain to use because the handle that's not attached to the body has to go into the tools slot to close them fully but I just look at them as a bonus. The tweezers are well hidden. If you don't know where to look you won't find them. I've pulled them out in the last photo. One other nice thing about the design is the tools can be used with the pliers closed. The only tools that can be used with the pliers open is the Philips screwdriver/file, the bottle opener and the tweezers. I give it an 8 out of 10 rating because of the lack of printed instructions (which would help to find the darn tweezers!) and the bottle opener. Just my opinion. Still, I feel they are worth the $15 I paid for them.



A perfect addition to my keychain.



The tweezers exposed! Well hidden and not easy to find unless you're lucky.

No comments: