Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pacific coast knapping materials

My wife and I like to go to the coast as often as possible. I can indulge in some serious beach combing and she likes to sit on the beach and relax. One of my hobbies is shell collecting and I have a fairly serious collection. Occasionally I'll find a goody or two and if I really luck out there will be enough for some trading. One thing I keep an eye out for is knapping material. I've only found stuff like this where a creek or river flows into the ocean. My best spot has yielded some very good knapping rock. It comes in nice colors like red, green, brown, and gray. Some is chert and a little bit is very glossy flint. It all knaps just fine. I'll give you a clue as to where I find it:between Monterey Bay and Morro Bay.If you are cruising Highway 1, check out any place where there are streams emptying into the Pacific. Enjoy!!! Maybe you'll luck into a nice big chunk of jade!




No comments: