Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Making a wood working adze part 2

I cut the old plane iron today. I now have two blades to choose from. One is 4 1/2" x 1" and the other is 4 1/2" x 1 1/2". Thickness is 3/16". I like the shape of the off sided 1 1/2" wide blade so I'll use it. I guess I have a spare blade for a future project. I cleaned up the edges on the one I plan to use. Now I need to do the final work on that oak handle.

First off is safety gear. Eye protection and dust mask. The mask is a Northern and is the only one I could find that fits with safety glass's or reading glass's.
Here's the plane iron before cutting.
First cut.
Setting up for the second cut. I put it in the vise in a way that will hold one side and the other drop free. Notice the water jug. I kept everything cool during cutting.
Here I'm cleaning up the edge's.
This is the one I like.
The second blade.
I thought this would be interesting. This is the screw on the chip breaker that the plane iron rests on in the plane. These were made low tech and sturdy. They knew what they were doing and turned out a lot of these old wooden planes. Look at the screw. Entirely hand made.
Another shot.
And yet another.
Notice how the screw slot was made by a chisel strike. Simplicity. You can see how the screw was roughly hammered into shape.
I like this. The maker who forged these parts just did a hot punch through the chip breaker and ran a tap to thread it for the screw. I imagine they turned these things out by the dozen an hour or so.


Next::part 3 and the final setting of the blade.

No comments: