Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gardening, water and the economy

Its spring and time to get the plants ready (in my area they are already producing and in fruit) for the soil. I don't consider myself an expert by any means but I have been a gardener since I was a child. I grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania and learned early about the tricks of the trade. My favorite method is the raised bed. It makes working around the plants a breeze. Aeration and watering is less of a chore and harvesting is easier. The initial setup can be a bit of work but the end product is so well worth it. I've raised tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, radishes, carrots and beans in raised beds. All produced beyond my expectations when I first gardened with this technique. I believe the aeration and looseness of the soil is a big plus to plant health.

We have had a very good winter here as far as water. The snow is very deep on the mountains and we should have a decent water flow for the rest of the year. There's still a problem in the west side of the valley with the ignorant enviro-nazis cutting off the water to those farms. What will it take to shake up the dead heads in DC and put a stop to this nonsense?

That brings me to the economy. I listened to the radio at work today and the big topic was the falling stock market. It was down to -8% which is mighty scary. This is because the money managers are selling out to protect their clients money due to the economic crisis in Europe. I'm glad I don't live in Greece. They are on the verge of total anarchy and it hasn't even started to rain, so to speak. What will happen when it really gets bad? If I had a large amount of money in the bank I would keep a very cautious eye on the economic news and be ready to make a hasty withdrawal. Find a place at home to hide it and by all means don't be tempted to spend it! We live in very interesting times. Keep up with the preps!

4 comments:

Torjus Gaaren said...

Actually, being an economist by education, I would advice that you don't hide away the money. The bailouts after the financial crisis will probably lead to hyperinflation, which will leave your money worthless.

I'd recommend you rather spend them on durable goods that you will need and buy gold and silver for the rest to preserve the wealth. :-)

Ron Layton said...

Thanks Torjus! That's good advice. May as well buy things now when the moneys worth a damn than wait till a wheel barrow full won't buy a loaf of bread alla Germany 1922. I'm glad you clarified things and I really appreciate your input.
Ron

Anonymous said...

I definately agree that there is never a need to hide money away. Banks are already insured by the government.... and if the government can't insure your funds, then that money is as good as lost anyway. I don't completely agree with the idea of hyper inflation... Although theory states that increased money supply increases the cost of goods, it does not always work perfectly.

In any case, Ron, I sent you an Email about guest blogging. Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

George

Anonymous said...

Well, yes and no! We are facing a serious economic crisis and I have no doubt we will have some serious inflation, but not hyper-inflation. So let me tell you why pulling your money out of the bank is a good idea: First you are getting a mere 2% at best in the bank. Second, if it all crashes down the first thing that will happen is the banks will close and when they reopen you will be severely limited on how much you can withdraw. Third in the months following the crash and the bank holiday and new rules there will be things you will need and there will be opportunities for anyone with cash. Inflation will come, make no mistake, but it won't be a Zimbabwe style inflation. It will be more like a Jimmy Carter style inflation. So your money will not be worthless but after a few years it will clearly be worth less...