Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2009

Hand lines for fishing

Here's a pair of hand lines I made for my wife and I. They're made from a piece of lathing and a dowel rod, all recycled material. The leather containers are made from a recycled Barca Lounger. Water proof wood glue was used to hold everything together but you could use epoxy if you waned. I tie about 100 feet of 30 lb. test Spyder Wire line to the center rod. They're more than capable of handling a good sized fish. Overall length is about 10 inches. It took me about an hour to make everything.



2 comments:

Charley said...

Nice post Ron. What type of fish do you usually catch using that kind of set up? I am enjoying your blog.
Charley
www.ancienthunter.com

Ron Layton said...

Hi Charley
Mostly small fish on the order of a foot long or so such as trout, bass, and catfish. It would hold a good sized cat but you have to wear gloves or work the line with a small stick when using Spyder Wire or other "wonder line" so you don't cut your hands. The reel is very sturdy and should hold up to a lot of use. I mounted it to a makeshift pole with cable ties and it worked great and would probably handle a good sized fish.