Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mountain Ron 1 - Cancer 0

Well, I got some real good news today. I had several tumors cut off my back and thank God I caught them early. Biopsy shows them to be pre-cancer and now all I need to do is go in for regular scans. How did I get it? Well, when I was stationed at sunny Fort Huachuca, Arizona, I did a very foolish thing. I went and took my t-shirt off. I got a sun burn so bad I had second degree burns all over my back. Huge blisters and redder than any fresh boiled lobster. Almost scored an article 15 for that stunt. Damaging Government property! Imagine that! This happened in the summer of 1977. Its taken this long for the cancer to appear and my Doc said its a very common thing with the boomer generation. We all partied naked in the sun like there was no tomorrow and now the fiddler wants paid. So, if you plan on catching some rays, be smart and wear sunscreen or other protection. If you have to work in direct sun wear a good widebrim hat and longsleeve shirt. When I was in Arizona I bought a few white longsleeve shirts from the thrift store and wore my boonie hat for outdoor play. Just be careful in the direct sunlight.

2 comments:

sam_acw said...

Glad to hear some good news.
Wish you the best of health!

Kristine Shreve said...

Glad to hear the tumors weren't cancerous. I have very fair skin and I got fried a few times when I was a kid. I've just turned 40 and so far nothing yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.