Rons Primitive Skills

Custom Search

Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2007

Flint Tools



The tools pictured above are my own design. I use them for working wood, making cordage, leather work, etc. They are about 1" X 1" in size. Both are made from untreated Burlington I picked up in Warsaw, Missouri around Truman lake.


The above are a pair of unmounted adze's. They measure about 3". I made them from some material I found near Grand Junction, Colorado. They are fairly thick so they can withstand the shock of working wood.

The above are some more specialized tools I made for working bone, antler, and wood. They are all made from material I found near Grand Junction, Colorado. The one at the top right is 1 1/2" long. The top left one is untreated chalcedony and this stone was a real bear to work! After I heat treat this material it usually turns a really pretty black and the unseen inclusions show up as white spots.

The above are a group of knives. They are all made from Grand Junction chalcedony. These are all made from heat treated material and you can see the effect brought out by the heat. It looks a lot different than the raw chalcedony in the picture before this. I was quite surprised by the variety of colors and patterns that showed up. The one at the top measures around 1 1/2".

The above are a group of thumbnail scrappers all made from Grand Junction material. I use these for wood, bone, and antler working. The white one at top left is 1 3/4" long.

The above is a bottom view of the thumbnail scrappers.

This is a drill made from Grand Junction material. It measures 1 1/2" long.

3 comments:

rix said...

Hmm. Warsaw, Missouri, eh?

I've been wondering where around here I could find some chert to quarry. I just got the knapping bug, myself.

So, are you from Missouri, or were you just visiting? Either way, if you`re ever in the area again, drop by the JOMO Knap-in.

Ron Layton said...

Hi Rix
Thanks for the invite. I live in California and visit Truman Lake State Park at least once a year. I rent a canoe and cruise the shore looking for sizable nodules and boulders of Burlington chert. I've found a few in the 40-50 pound range. Its a bear working the uncooked stuff! When its cooked it usually takes on a nice pink color and gets waxy and thus easier to work. I like to use untreated for any tools I plan on working with. The cooked stuff I use for collector pieces and show pieces.
Regards,
Ron

Flowerpot said...

Hallo , What an interesting blog , I will enjoy reading !